Summer – so beloved in Finland we even have a soup called Summer Soup.
Now is the time to enjoy season’s vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, spring onions, cauliflower and peas. Put all of these in a pot with some milk and processed cheese and boom, you have yourself a delicious food called kesäkeitto – summer soup.
Of course to be accompanied with a glass of cold milk, the proper Finnish way. Yummy, healthy, and even my 1-year-old toddler loves it.
Wanna try it? Here’s how.
(for best taste make sure all veggies are as fresh and local as possible)
600 ml water
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
5 (500g) potatoes
3 (250g) carrots
1/2 (250 g) cauliflower
125 g processed cheese (or more if you prefer your soup even creamier)
1/2 liter of milk
ground white pepper
50 g spring onions / scallion
- Peel and cube potatoes and carrots, carrot cubes should be smaller than potatoes.
- Bring the water and spices just to the boil.
- Add potato and carrot cubes in the boiling water, cook for about 5 minutes
- Add processed cheese, milk and fabricated cauliflower in the soup. Let the soup boil for another 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Chop the spring onions with the stalks and add to the soup.
- Serve with rye bread and butter.